State and local governments across the country face massive deficits, and many are looking for additional taxes to improve their budgets. Most are aggressively trying to collect more taxes from existing taxpayers, identify new taxpayers and impose new business taxes as well.
Paying excessive taxes reduces profitability and puts a business at a serious competitive disadvantage, especially when it already is squeezed by price pressures and growing competition. Multistate businesses must also cope with multiple tax systems – often arcane, complex and inconsistent that create serious compliance challenges as well as adverse financial consequences. However, by working effectively with those tax laws, a business can achieve substantial tax savings that flow to the bottom line and boost its financial position.
The Prae Legal’s tax group network allows our clients to receive multi-jurisdictional advice on how to take advantage of the major tax benefits available to their businesses and cross-border transactions. The network permits a continuous interchange of experiences, advice on changes to tax legislation, case law and areas of opportunity.
We provide a full range of services, including:
- Tax planning to minimize state/local tax costs of regular business operations and major transactions;
- Tax refunds;
- Tax rulings;
- Audit guidance;
- Appeals of assessments;
- Advise on multistate and constitutional tax issues;
- Guidance on all state and local taxes, including sales tax, use tax, income tax, gross receipts tax, property tax, utility tax, real estate excise tax, leasehold excise tax and other business taxes.
- Resolving Tax Issues Without Litigation
- Counseling on indirect taxation
- Advising on governmental relationships
Moreover, when your organization’s legal needs move beyond tax issues, attorneys in the tax group are able to connect you to the advice, expertise and support you might need from Prae Legal.